Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Optmizations

One of reasons that (some) features are so easy to produce in ccMixter is because for the last year I've totally ignored all optimizations -- this is a typical programmer's trade off: performance vs. features. There is a huge amount of flexibility in the code that allows me to reach almost any piece of data from almost anywhere in the program. The cost? Well, it takes about 3 secs to render a remix listing or artist's profile page. This is an eternity in web server time and frankly, more than a little embarrassing. (Those pages would be considered average if they took 0.5 seconds to render.)

I've been doing timing test to figure out where the bottlenecks are and I've already reduced them by half. More coming...

2 comments:

Gurdonark said...

Don't mean to flatter you, but I like that every time I look at the mixter, there's a cool new feature.

fourstones said...

first off I could say the same about your music drops on the site,

but don't set the bar too high, eventually the features will slow down as the itches get scratched.