Thursday, February 16, 2006

Making This Task Easier


I'm currently in the process of recording a number of my favorite vst drum kits and synths and exporting them as wav files so I can make "refill" versions that I can use in my number one tool for production, Reason 3.0. The problem I'm faced with at the moment is making the process less tedious because recording say a Legacy patch at 3 per octave and 3 samples of different velocities for 4 to 5 octaves is a pain when it comes to exporting and what not.

What I'm hoping you guys can help me out on is recommeding a program (or process) that would allow me to split a single wav into several that is based on decibles or volume as opposed to time. This would really make the task of assembling drum kits so much easier. I know I can kinda do this in Recycle, but I would rather have individual wave files to use in other programs at times.

7 comments:

fourstones said...

I think Sound Forge's auto region will do what you want, here's a screen
shot
:

PatChilla said...

Thanks, I'll check that out. I also make a quick rex file because I needed a specific sound and I found out some info. My original 24 bit/33 meg file is mangled into a 16 bit/9 meg file in Recycle. That sucks big ones!!!! As far as I can tell, you cant maintain 24 bit quality in Recycle :(

PatChilla said...

Worked like a charm!!!!!! A single file diced in to 66 wavs of drum hits heaven, all in under 10 seconds!!!!! Damn I'll be saving some serious time. THANKS!!!!

fourstones said...

sweet.

Marco Raaphorst said...

ReCycle can save to sliced-wav files. Have you tried that yet?

PatChilla said...

As much as I've used Recycle I never used that feature!!! I'm flabbergasted at all the hours of unnecessary editing I've been doing. Since I'm pretty comfortable with Recycle I'll probably end up using it from drum edits and leave the waveform stuff to Sound Forge so I can set my loop points. Thanx.

Marco Raaphorst said...

with ReCycle these things are super simple indeed. the auto-slice thing is great for quick and dirty slicing into small wav/aif files.

good luck!