Monday, February 13, 2006

Creative Marketing


Browsing the new uploads at ccmixter I came across this dude who has a decent upload, but his stage name peaked my interest so I went and visited his site. It was mediocre at best, but then I decided to click on this link and what I found was one of the most interesting promotion and marketing campaigns I've ever seen. If you're familiar with the Church of Sub Genius then this will be nothing new to you, but I've never heard of them and am somewhat awed by the depth and complexity of their campaign. Someone has way too much time on their hands or they just may be crazy enough to believe it themselves!!!!!

2 comments:

fourstones said...

I first heard about Church of Subgenious and high priest Bob close to 30 years ago in the LA Weekly. It became a very chic "inside" hollywood satire because of the growing Scientology cult and the celebrity culutre in general.

The wikipedia article is about everything you need to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_subGenius

I don't want to start a religious war (literrally) but I've been reading "End of Faith" by this guy and I gotta say, "beleiving" in Bob and Subgenious is not a lot more crazy that what many people seem to take as gospel.

Mike Linksvayer said...

I have the "End of Faith" too for reading as soon as I finish my current book. BoB is a whole lot less crazy than the others and the "Hour of Slack" is groovy Negativland/Over the Edge-style sound collage art/ranting.