Saturday, January 28, 2006

Recycled Melodies/Good in pop...coincidence?

Just some side stuff interesting to me. Im sure the real musicians hear these things all the time.

I collect alot of old records from thrift stores. Its so interesting to find what could either be recycled melodies or just coincidence in today's popular music. Two that I can think of today from playing some records while cleaning the apt:

Gwen Stefani "Rich Girl" ft Eve (Gwen's melody in chorus) vs Herb Albert and Tijuana Brass "If I were a rich man"...this MAY have been easily evident to people like Vic, Pat, Cezary, Marco e.t.c But another one today was:

Lindsey Lohan (Lindsey's melody) "Confessions of a broken heart, Daughter to Father" and George Bensons "We are love" I wonder how intentional this one was, but they sound the same to me. Could have been some knowledgeable producer who came up with the idea, or maybe Lindsey Lohan just got taste like that.

Well if I can parapharse (or misquote) some of Victor's arguments/blogs Ive read...Its all one big remix, just use the parts well, and make new art (and give the original artists credit when you should!) .....Anyone got any other examples?


P.s. 2 others: There is some Nat King Cole in D4L's Laffy Taffy and I just heard some Guess Who in Kevin Federlines Papazao...its getting crazy

3 comments:

teru said...

I just had to say that this is really well thought out and well written. I can't think of any other examples right now, but if I do I'll come back to this post. Because there's tons. : )

shagrugg said...

This argument has surfaced numerous times...and honest rebuttle I have for "ripping melodies" and "chord progressions" is that in music you're dealing with a limited number of notes. A musical key is a limited workspace. Most pop songs don't change keys...one key, four chords. The rules for chord progressions and keys can be broken...(look at any number of jazz standards or composers such as Charles Ives and Bela Bartok). Atonal music is just as valid a musical genre or melody but it is not generally as radio friendly as a standard 1-4-5 chord progression (which just about every pop song uses).

The issue is compounded by the fact that many "popular musicians" are not classically trained in the sense that they are willing or even capable of exploring pitch relationships and melodies that aren't traditional or outside of the mainstream. Nor is the average music listener willing to pay for the dissonance that comes with such exploration.

Dr_Concoction said...

Good point...I never thought about the classically trained vs Popular musician angle

But we still wont always know if it just happened or was actually ripped. I guess it doesnt really matter, maybe the delivery is all (or most) that matters?