Sunday, January 22, 2006

Grocery store music

Tux Power! is a virtual CD compilation of music by artists using libre software (Linux). Some of the tracks are CC or PD, and some of those can allow remixing on ccMixter. Invitation to the Pure Data Trigger Gang Bang seems like a good candidate. Lossless FLAC available.

However, I write for Norma, a track hideous to my ears. It sounds just like something you'd hear in a (U.S.) grocery store. Just as good, or as bad if you're me. The disgusting slab of adult-contemporary-country-rock is under a license that alows any sort of remixing.

Bad art is ashamed of itself and requires the owner to market it, or set it free. Or something not at all like that.

4 comments:

teru said...

How did Norma make it on this album?
I guess it's the Linux theme but did anyone else listen to the song before and after it? No I'm not asking you. I'm asking the people who put this album together? : )

Mike Linksvayer said...

Well, it seems pretty well executed for what it is. I just can't tolerate Norma's genre.

Maybe it'll make someone who digs grocery store music to scratch their head in a good way.

Lucas Gonze said...

The problem with stuff like this is that there's nothing more pathetic than somebody who wants to sell out but can't find a buyer.

fourstones said...

nothing more pathetic than somebody who wants to sell out but can't find a buyer.

Exactly why I will never, never sell out to the man!